Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Illinois Politics Quiz

Alan Keyes was interviewed by the Sun-Times and asked to name four U.S. senators from Illinois that he admired:

Well that I might be able to do. I can name four U.S. senators from Illinois, not all of them do I admire though -- Paul Simon, Adlai Stevenson, Douglas, Percy.

Not bad, though I'm not sure which Adlai Stevenson Keyes is referring to. Adlai Stevenson I was Vice-President of the U.S. under Grover Cleveland and therefore president of the Senate. Adlai Stevenson II, his grandson, was governor of Illinois from 1948 to 1952 and Democratic presidential nominee in 1952 and 1956. He never served in the Senate. Adlai II's son, Adlai III served in the Senate from Illinois from 1970 to 1980.

On the other hand, two Douglases have served in the Senate from Illinois. The first, Stephen Douglas, is best know as the other half of the Lincoln-Douglas debates. The second, Paul Douglas, served from 1948 to 1966.

No comments: