Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Bush Declares War!

Syria?

Iran?

North Korea?

No, no, and no. It turns out that Bush has declared war on Christmas! This year's card from the White House wishes recipients a happy "holiday season." And that's enough to send religious conservatives over the edge:

"This clearly demonstrates that the Bush administration has suffered a loss of will and that they have capitulated to the worst elements in our culture," said William A. Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.

Bush "claims to be a born-again, evangelical Christian. But he sure doesn't act like one," said Joseph Farah, editor of the conservative Web site WorldNetDaily.com. "I threw out my White House card as soon as I got it."


I can't wait to hear what Bill O'Reilly has to say about this.

And then there's this strange quote from Rev. Bob Edgar, former Democratic Congressman and now head of the National Council of Churches:

"I think it's more important to put Christ back into our war planning than into our Christmas cards"


I can't admit to being all that religious, but I just don't think Christ is a particularly good source of advice for war planning. Peace making? Absolutely. But war planning? I don't think so. You'd be better off with some of the Old Testament, "smite thine enemies" figures for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The "full" quote, according to the NASB translation of the Bible, reads (Jesus speaking):

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be the members of his household." (Matthew 10:34-36, NASB)

On the other hand Bush's Christmas card has a psalm in it for crying out loud. Its not like its just Frosty or some thing.