Thursday, August 18, 2005

My Back Pages

Which John Roberts is the real one? The middle-aged nonideological lawyer who did pro bono work on Romer v. Evans? Or the snarky young conservative working in the bowels of the Reagan Administration?

I don't know if Roberts is a Dylan fan (hey, Ann Coulter used to follow the Dead, so stranger things have happened), but if questioned about his "evolution," he should get out his guitar and harmonica and proclaim:

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth
"Rip down all hate," I screamed
Lies that life is black and white
Spoke from my skull. I dreamed
Romantic facts of musketeers
Foundationed deep, somehow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,I'm younger than that now.

In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach
My pathway led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow.
Ah, but I was so much older then,I'm younger than that now.

No comments: